Monday, March 9, 2009

1000 Books Everyone Must Read (Before They Die)

From Chocolate Geek's Flickr/Creative Commons
With the launch of the Kindle 2 earlier this week, my Twitter stream has been full of calls for book suggestions and their appropriate responses. Although I do not really have the time for leisure reading during the semester, I've long been interested in finding a complete list of books that I need to read before I die, a full list that might show me exactly how to live. From @mrskutcher's twitter, a list of a 1,000 novels that everyone must read before they croak from the UK's The Guardian. (Note: Because of the list's British-ness, some suggestions will obviously be a bit quirky to US sensibilities, and I'm sure some American classics have been omitted.)

1 comment:

The Classic Kid said...

If a list contains any Jane Austen, then, I must say, that the list is faulty and that it should NOT be taken seriously. It did have Kobo Abe, who is really great. And it has Madam Bovary give me a break, such an annoying and lame novel. And it has Leguin, really? But the list does redeem itself with Hesse, Hardy, Kafka, Twain, Conrad, Kerouac, and Swift. Hmm... No Fry. Fry should be added to comedy... haha.