Saturday, February 21, 2009

Korean BBQ @ Beul Dae Po

(Photo courtesy Cathy K. on Yelp)

I met up with a friend last night after work, and after hearing some of my co-workers discussing the Korean BBQ they got from the truck outside our office on Thursday, I had a hankering for some of that greasy stuff. So, I turned to Yelp (a very cool resource I started using this summer when looking for places to get pizza downtown).

The place we chose was Beul Dae Po in Koreatown.

Walking into the place was bit intimidating. The decor in the restaurant I think is supposed to be reminiscent of your run-of-the-mill BBQ stand in Korea. The walls were done in corrugated metal roofing, smoke pretty much filled the entire hall and at each of the tables metal piping fueled gas grills. All the signs were in Korean. The television was set to Korean TV. Everyone around us was chatting in Korean. (Mind you, neither I nor my friend know a word of the language). We were greeted upon entry by a Korean woman who immediately addressed us in Korean; I'm presuming she asked us how many people were dining. I put two fingers up and she sat us.

We ended up ordering (mostly by pointing at the menu in a sorta confused way) one plate of beef brisket and another of pork ribs. And it must've been our lucky day...we got a free plate of marinated pig intestines--apparently a house specialty. Took a little bit for them to get the food to our table, but once it did it was fantastic. We grilled our own food at the table, badly charring some of the beef slices and under-cooking others. With the three dipping sauces (one sweet, one salty and one like spicy gyoza sauce), the meat was great. The intestines, I must say, were a bit difficult to deal with at first because of the thick, gritty goop on the inside, but I guess they grew on me.

And although I still smell like Korean restaurant, I am already thinking about going back. Next time, I think I'll take one of those phrasebooks with me just in case.

No comments: