Sunday, November 30, 2008

Berlin.

1936 Olympic Stadium
Reichstag (German Parliament)Holocaust MemorialBrandenburg GateVictory Column

Apologies for the long delay. The past week has been packed with essays and airplanes.

On November 21 to 24, I traveled to Berlin for the weekend on a cheap RyanAir flight from Edinburgh. Having been in Scotland for the better part of 3 months, it was nice to be out and about on the continent again.

Berlin is a city of contrasts. A mix of the incredibly modern with the still-recovering. Unlike Rome and London, I didn't feel as if there was much in the way of tourist-traps in the city (though there were a handful). When I'm in a new city, I often like to hit the major attractions, and map my way from my travel book. But there, the atmosphere was different. I got the sense that the city is always in such transition, that the main attraction really was the city itself. The glass skyscrapers and boxy communist architecture, the subway cellist and the smoky techno bass. Plus, the food was great. Who knew there'd be so much Vietnamese food in Germany?

A fuller picture of the city:


And if it looks like I'm oddly excited to see snow, it's because I was.

Can't Miss: Curry Wurst, Reichstag, Listening in on German conversation (even if you don't know what they're saying)

1 comment:

The Classic Kid said...

To think that that'll be my "scene" in a few months... DAMN, my foot fell asleep... meh... Good picture taking... oh, and when you get back, we should go see Marv. Toy... Oh, and, I was going to type something, but I've forgotten... hmm...

[Led Zep playing gaily in the background...] And by "gaily" I mean, the FIRST, REAL definition of the word...

I'm out.