Sunday, November 2, 2008

British Cold Remedies


Dealing with the sudden temperature fluctuations and coughing classmates over the past few weeks, it was almost inevitable that I would come down with a cold of some sort this fall. Being so far away from the nearest Target or CVS, I've been familiarizing myself with over-the-counter British cold remedies. Here is a list of three of my American go-to's and their British names:

Tylenol Cold (Acetaminophen) --> Paracetamol
Cough Syrup --> Chesty Cough Syrup
Cough Drops --> Cough Sweets

I've also been taking Fisherman's Friend cough drops. They are basically menthol lozenges with a bite, the kind of thing that clears out your entire respiratory system upon inhaling. It's remarkable how effective it is in treating a sore throat and suppressing coughs. Apparently, it is available at a limited number of locations in the States. Definitely glad I found them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, when I was younger my mom would give me the Fishermen's Friend things when I had a cough.