Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Night in Edinburgh

Since I've been in the UK, I've been asked a lot of questions. About the economy, about my political loyalties, about voting. I've heard Scots and Germans, Japanese and Indians talk. About Iraq, about bailouts, about race. And in every case, the conversation has always led to Obama.

Although it was 1 AM GMT before any returns were reported or any states called, the University was absolutely buzzing. It was standing-room-only in pubs across the city and at one University party 600 people showed up to watch the map light up on the big screen. Eyes would narrow as the Eastern states were colored precariously blue or red. The world was watching.

Today, the reaction around campus has been amazing. I've been congratulated no less than ten times today. There's a sense that a change is upon us. And Edinburgh is happy to see it.

When I first applied to study here in the fall, when I first realized I'd be here for the elections, I felt sort of disappointed. But I think being here has really imbued me with a sense of hope far greater than I'd have back home. America has reason to celebrate today. But we are not alone.

No comments: