Sunday, August 10, 2008

Who do I cheer for?

This is probably a pointless question to ask, but while I'm in Europe watching the Olympics who should I be rooting for? Going abroad will be confusing enough, but the Olympics adds a whole 'nother dimension.

I've always supported Team USA, and Japan will always be my team (It is, after all, the motherland), but what about the whole UK-Scotland problem. Apparently, the Sports Minister of Scotland recently contacted IOC President Jacques Roggi to contest the banning of all non-national team flags from sporting events--including Saltire Flags. The message: Scottish fans should have the right to celebrate their Scottish athletes with a Scottish flag despite the fact that, technically, they are UK athletes under the UK flag. It's a tricky situation. There's no doubt about that. But what does that mean for the casual Olympic fan like me?

Here's the article from The Scotsman.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should stick to your roots, mate. I mean, I'm Australian, and I root for my people. Yep.

Oh, and I like your logo, very sick mate, very sick.

Anonymous said...

south korea. haha. kidding. DON'T do that.

no. i think you should route for china..then you really can be dim sum.

o

Anonymous said...

Loser...little late on your posts (aren't you happy I'm commenting so much though) but Michael Phelps is on his way to 8 gold medals!! So exciting...and now, most of the exciting sports are out of the way so you probably won't be watching it much anyway lol. Oh, and fyi, I hate those damn word verifications when I comment...